| 2023 | 2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2008 | Search |
- 10.11.2023The President of the Portuguese Constitutional Court, Justice José João Abrantes, attended the conference organized by the Directorate-General for Justice and Consumers of the European Commission.
The working sessions were dedicated to reflecting on the importance of cooperation between constitutional jurisdictions for the promotion and protection of a rule-of-law culture in the European Union.
The Directorate-General for Justice and Consumers is responsible for European Union policy on justice, consumer rights and equality between men and women.
- 08.11.2023The President of the Constitutional Court, Justice José João Abrantes, received the Ambassador of the Republic of Korea in Lisbon, Yeongmoo Cho, in a courtesy visit.
- 07.11.2023The President of the Constitutional Court, Justice José João Abrantes, received the Ambassador of the Arab Republic of Egypt in Lisbon, Wael El-Naggar, in a courtesy visit.
- 07.11.2023The President of the Constitutional Court, Justice José João Abrantes, received the Ambassador of the Republic of Angola in Lisbon, Maria de Jesus Ferreira, in a courtesy visit.
- 30.10.2023The President of the Constitutional Court, Justice José João Abrantes, received on a courtesy visit the President of the Constitutional Court of São Tomé e Príncipe, Justice Roberto Pedro Raposo, accompanied by Justice Leopoldo Marques.
- 27.10.2023Justice José Figueiredo Dias attended an international conference in Pristina between 23 and 25 October in representation of the Portuguese Constitutional Court.
The conference celebrating the 14th anniversary of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Kosovo was dedicated to the topic “The Contribution of Constitutional Courts in Protecting and Strengthening Fundamental Values of Democracy, Rule of Law, and Fundamental Human Rights and Freedoms”.
Justice José Figueiredo Dias gave a presentation on “The Role of Constitutional Courts in Strengthening the Values of Democracy and the Rule of Law through Abstract Control of Constitutionality of Norms – An overview of the Portuguese System”.
The presentation can be found here >>
- 11.10.2023The President of the Constitutional Court, Justice José João Abrantes, received the Ambassador of the German Federal Republic, Julia Monar, in a courtesy visit.
- 10.10.2023The President of the Constitutional Court, Justice José João Abrantes, received the Ambassador of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, Mary Flores, in a courtesy visit.
- 09.10.2023The President of the Constitutional Court, Justice José João Abrantes, received the Ambassador of the French Republic, Hélène Farnaud-Defromont, in a courtesy visit.
- 21.09.2023The President of the Constitutional Court, Justice José João Abrantes, received on a courtesy visit the President of the Court of Appeal and the Superior Council for the Judiciary of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste, Justice Deolindo dos Santos, accompanied by Ambassador Isabel Amaral Guterres.
- 21.09.2023At the invitation of the Constitutional Court and the Supreme Court of the Republic of Latvia, Justice Rui Guerra da Fonseca attended a conference entitled “The Role of the Judiciary in Execution of Judgments of the European Court of Human Rights”. This conference was organized within the framework of the Latvian Presidency of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe and took place in Riga on 20th and 21st September 2023.
- 04.09.2023Justices Carlos Carvalho e João Carlos Loureiro attended a conference on “EUnited in Diversity II: The Rule of Law and Constitutional Diversity”. The conference is a sequel to a previous conference held in Riga, Latvia, in September 2021, with the title “EUnited in Diversity: between constitutional traditions and national identities”.
The conference was organized by the Court of Justice of the European Union, the Constitutional Court of Belgium, the Constitutional Court of Luxembourg and the Supreme Court of the Netherlands
- 21.07.2023The Vice-President of the Constitutional Court, Justice Gonçalo de Almeida Ribeiro, participated in the World Law Congress 2023, which took place in New York City on July 20-21, and gave a presentation on Judicial Independence in the European Union. The two-day event in which judges, politicians, lawyers, academics, journalists, activists, and students, among others, discussed current topics focusing on Peace Through Law, the original motto of the World Jurist Association (WJA), an NGO with special consultative status to the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and the organizer of the event.
The Vice-President’s presentation can be found HERE >>
- 26.06.2023The Constitutional Court of the Kyrgyz Republic and the Venice Commission held an international conference entitled “The Constitution as a foundation for building a democratic state under the rule of law”.
The conference, which was dedicated to the 30th anniversary of the Constitution of the Kyrgyz Republic, was held on 21 and 22 June 2023 in the Issyk-Kul region.
The Constitutional Court was represented by Justice Mariana Canotilho who delivered a speech entitled “The role of the constitutional court in the defence of fundamental rights and national constitutional values”.
- 26.06.2023The IV Quadrilateral Conference of the Constitutional Courts of Italy, Spain and Portugal and the Constitutional Council of France took place in Rome, between 22 and 24 June.
This edition was on the topic of "The rights of the new generations: environment and health".
The Constitutional Court of Portugal was represented by President José João Abrantes, Vice-President Gonçalo de Almeida Ribeiro, Justices Joana Fernandes Costa and Maria Benedita Urbano and the Chief of Staff Carla Câmara.
After the initial speeches by the four presidents - Silvana Sciarra, Laurent Fabius, José João Abrantes and Candido Conde- Pumpido Tourón -, there was a first session on "The rights of new generations: environment" which included a speech by Justice Maria Benedita Urbano.
In the second session, Justice Joana Fernandes Costa spoke on "The rights of the new generations: health".
The final statement can be found here: >>
- 18.05.2023The Intermediate Seminar of the Conference of Constitutional Jurisdictions of Portuguese Speaking Countries (CJCPLP) took place at the Brazilian Federal Supreme Court, in Brasília, on 15 and 16 May.
The Constitutional Court of Portugal was represented by Justice Assunção Raimundo, who participated in the discussion on “The role of constitutional jurisdiction in promoting and guaranteeing social and economic justice” and “Hermeneutics and constitutional jurisdiction”.
The Conference of Constitutional Jurisdictions of Portuguese-Speaking Countries is, according to its statutes, an organization of judicial, jurisprudential and scientific cooperation that brings together the supreme bodies with constitutional jurisdiction in these countries.
The 5th General Assembly was held in 2022, in Lisbon, under the Portuguese presidency. The Constitutional Council of Mozambique assumed the presidency for the 2022-2024 biennium.
- 11.05.2023Justice José João Abrantes and Justice Gonçalo de Almeida Ribeiro took office today at Palácio Ratton, before the Plenary, as President and Vice-President of the Constitutional Court.
- 24.04.2023The 20th Meeting of the Joint Council on Constitutional Justice of the Venice Commission took place on 24th and 25th April in Sofia, Bulgaria. The Constitutional Court was represented by its liaison officer with the Venice Commission and advisor to the Legal Information and Documental Support Centre, António Abrantes, who gave a presentation on Government powers in a state of emergency and the constitutionality of lockdown measures.
- 30.03.2023At the invitation of the Constitutional Court of Romania, the President of the Constitutional Court, Justice João Pedro Caupers, and Justice José João Abrantes attended the assembly celebrating the 100th anniversary of the adoption of the Constitution of Romania, which took place in Bucharest on March 27.
- 03.03.2023The Constitutional Court held an international conference on “Constitutionalism in the 21st Century” with world-renowned experts on constitutional law. The opening session was presided by the President of the Republic and the President of the Constitutional Court.
- 15.02.2023The members of the Transparency Commission took office today: President Ana Raquel Moniz and members Mónica Maria Bessa Correia and Pedro Mascarenhas Nunes. The President of the Republic, Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, attended the ceremony, as well as the Speaker of Parliament, Augusto Santos Silva, the Justices of the Constitutional Court, representatives of the other supreme courts, and other distinguished guests.
- 02.02.2023The Constitutional Court welcomed a delegation from the Constitutional Court of Kosovo, on 31th January and 1st February.
The delegation, led by President Gresa Caka-Nimani, was welcomed by President João Pedro Caupers. In this bilateral meeting, which was part of a cooperation project with the Council of Europe, participants had the opportunity to debate the functioning and jurisdiction of the two courts, with a special focus on case law relating to restrictions on rights and freedoms in times of emergency.